Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to chewing: Chewing ice
v. chewed, chew·ing, chews
1. To bite and grind with the teeth; masticate.
2. To meditate on; ponder: chew a problem over.
1. To make a crushing and grinding motion with the teeth.
2. To cogitate; meditate: chewed on the difficulties ahead.
3. Informal To chew tobacco as a habit.
1. The act of chewing.
2. Something held in the mouth and chewed, especially a plug of tobacco.
chew out SlangIdioms:
To reprimand; scold.
chew the cud Slang
To ponder over; meditate.
chew the fat/rag Slang
To talk together in a friendly, leisurely way; chat at length.
[Middle English cheuen, from Old English cēowan.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chewing - biting and grinding food in your mouth so it becomes soft enough to swallow|
change of state - the act of changing something into something different in essential characteristics
chomping - the act of chewing noisily
rumination - (of ruminants) chewing (the cud); "ruminants have remarkable powers of rumination"