Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Either of two rodents of the genus Chinchilla that are native to the mountains of South America and are widely raised in captivity for their soft, pale gray fur.
b. The fur of either of these animals.
2. A thick twilled cloth of wool and cotton used for overcoats.
[Spanish, probably of Aymara origin.]
1. (Animals) a small gregarious hystricomorph rodent, Chinchilla laniger, inhabiting mountainous regions of South America: family Chinchillidae. It has a stocky body and is bred in captivity for its soft silvery grey fur
2. (Textiles) the highly valued fur of this animal
3. (Animals) mountain chinchilla mountain viscacha any of several long-tailed rodents of the genus Lagidium, having coarse poor quality fur
4. (Breeds) a breed of rabbit with soft silver-grey fur
5. (Textiles) a thick napped woollen cloth used for coats
[C17: from Spanish, perhaps from Aymara]
n., pl. -las.
1. a small South American rodent, Chinchilla laniger, raised for its silvery gray fur.
2. this fur.
3. a woolen coat fabric with a curly nap.
[1595–1605; < Sp, perhaps =chinche chinch + -illa diminutive suffix < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chinchilla - the expensive silvery grey fur of the chinchilla|
|2.||chinchilla - a thick twilled fabric of wool and cotton|
coating - a heavy fabric suitable for coats
|3.||chinchilla - small rodent with soft pearly grey fur; native to the Andes but bred in captivity for fur|
gnawer, rodent - relatively small placental mammals having a single pair of constantly growing incisor teeth specialized for gnawing
genus Chinchilla - type genus of the Chinchillidae