Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cis-: 11-cis-retinal
1. On this side: cisatlantic.
2. Having a pair of identical atoms or groups on the same side of a plane that passes through two carbon atoms linked by a double bond. Used of a geometric isomer: cis-2-butene.
1. (Physical Geography) on this or the near side of: cisalpine.
2. (Chemistry) (often in italics) indicating that two groups of atoms in an unsaturated compound lie on the same side of a double bond: cis-butadiene. Compare trans-5
1. a prefix occurring in words meaning “on this side of” or “a place on this side of” the thing or place specified by the base word: cisatlantic; cislunar.
2. a prefix used in the names of chemical compounds that are geometric isomers having two identical atoms or groups attached on the same side of a molecule divided by a given plane of symmetry. Compare trans- (def. 2).
[< Latin; akin to here]
Commonwealth of Independent States.