Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to citrine: rose quartz
1. A pale yellow variety of crystalline quartz resembling topaz.
2. A light to moderate olive.
[Middle English, reddish yellow, from Old French citrin, from Medieval Latin citrīnus, from Latin citrus, citron tree.]
1. (Minerals) a brownish-yellow variety of quartz: a gemstone; false topaz
a. the yellow colour of a lemon
b. (as modifier): citrine hair.
cit•rine(ˈsɪ trin, -traɪn, sɪˈtrin)
1. pale yellow; lemon-colored.n.
2. a translucent yellow variety of quartz, often sold as topaz.
[1350–1400; < Anglo-French < Medieval Latin citrīnus < Latin citr(us) (see citrus)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||citrine - semiprecious yellow quartz resembling topaz|
quartz - a hard glossy mineral consisting of silicon dioxide in crystal form; present in most rocks (especially sandstone and granite); yellow sand is quartz with iron oxide impurities
transparent gem - a gemstone having the property of transmitting light without serious diffusion