Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to civet: civet cat
a. Any of various catlike mammals of the family Viverridae of Africa and Asia, having anal scent glands that secrete a fluid with a musky odor. Also called civet cat.
b. The thick yellowish musky fluid secreted by one of these mammals, used in the manufacture of perfumes.
c. The fur of one of these mammals.
2. The palm civet of Africa.
[French civette, from Old French, from Catalan civetta, from Medieval Latin zibethus, from Arabic zabād, civet perfume.]
1. (Animals) any catlike viverrine mammal of the genus Viverra and related genera, of Africa and S Asia, typically having blotched or spotted fur and secreting a powerfully smelling fluid from anal glands
2. (Biochemistry) the yellowish fatty secretion of such an animal, used as a fixative in the manufacture of perfumes
3. (Textiles) the fur of such an animal
4. (Animals) short for palm civet
[C16: from Old French civette, from Italian zibetto, from Arabic zabād civet perfume]
1. Also called civ′et cat`. any of several catlike carnivores of the family Viverridae, esp. of the genera Viverra of the Orient and Civettictis of Africa.
2. a musky secretion of civets, used in perfumery.
[1525–35; < Middle French civette < Catalan civetta « Arabic zabād civet perfume]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||civet - cat-like mammal typically secreting musk used in perfumes|
Arctictis bintourong, bearcat, binturong - arboreal civet of Asia having a long prehensile tail and shaggy black hair
Cryptoprocta, genus Cryptoprocta - large primitive cat-like carnivores inhabiting forests of Madagascar