Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The comb of a rooster.
2. The cap of a jester, decorated to resemble the comb of a rooster.
3. An annual plant (Celosia argentea) widely cultivated for its showy, fan-shaped or plumelike clusters of red or yellow flowers. Also called celosia.
4. Obsolete Variant of coxcomb..
1. (Zoology) the comb of a domestic cock
2. (Plants) an amaranthaceous garden or pot plant, Celosia cristata, with yellow, crimson, or purple feathery plumelike flowers in a broad spike resembling the comb of a cock
3. (Plants) any similar species of Celosia
4. informal a conceited dandy
1. the comb or caruncle of a cock.
2. the cap, resembling a cock's comb, formerly worn by professional fools.
3. a garden plant, Celosia cristata, of the amaranth family with usu. crimson or purple flowers in a broad spike somewhat resembling the comb of a cock.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cockscomb - garden annual with featherlike spikes of red or yellow flowers|
|2.||cockscomb - a conceited dandy who is overly impressed by his own accomplishments|
|3.||cockscomb - a cap worn by court jesters; adorned with a strip of red|
cap - a tight-fitting headdress
|4.||cockscomb - the fleshy red crest on the head of the domestic fowl and other gallinaceous birds|
crest - a showy growth of e.g. feathers or skin on the head of a bird or other animal