cockshy(redirected from cockshies)
n. pl. cock·shies Chiefly British
1. A mark aimed at in throwing contests.
2. The throw in a throwing contest.
[From an old game in which sticks were shied at a cock.]
n, pl -shiesOften shortened to: shy
1. (Games, other than specified) a target aimed at in throwing games
2. (Games, other than specified) the throw itself.
[C18: from shying (throwing objects at) a cock, which was given as a prize to the person who hit it]
n., pl. -shies. Brit.
1. the sport of throwing missiles at a target.
2. the target itself.
3. an object of criticism or ridicule.