Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
A woman prostitute.
[French, chicken, prostitute, feminine diminutive of coq, cock, from Old French; see cock1.]
cocotte(kəʊˈkɒt; kə-; French kɔkɔt)
1. (Cookery) a small fireproof dish in which individual portions of food are cooked and served
2. a prostitute or promiscuous woman
[C19: from French, from nursery word for a hen, feminine of coq cock1]
pros•ti•tute(ˈprɒs tɪˌtut, -ˌtyut)
n., v. -tut•ed, -tut•ing. n.
1. a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money; whore; harlot.
2. a man who engages in sexual acts for money.
3. a person who willingly uses his or her talent or ability in a base and unworthy way, usu. for money.v.t.
4. to sell or offer (oneself) as a prostitute.
5. to put (one's talent or ability) to unworthy use.
[1520–30; < Latin prōstitūta, n. use of feminine of prōstitūtus, past participle of prōstituere to expose (for sale) =prō- pro-1 + -stituere, comb. form of statuere to cause to stand]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cocotte - a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money|
bawd, cyprian, fancy woman, harlot, lady of pleasure, prostitute, sporting lady, tart, whore, woman of the street, working girl
call girl - a female prostitute who can be hired by telephone
camp follower - a prostitute who provides service to military personnel
comfort woman, ianfu - a woman forced into prostitution for Japanese servicemen during World War II; "she wrote a book about her harsh experiences as a comfort woman"
demimondaine - a woman whose sexual promiscuity places her outside respectable society
hustler, slattern, street girl, streetwalker, floozie, floozy, hooker - a prostitute who attracts customers by walking the streets
white slave - a woman sold into prostitution
|2.||cocotte - a small casserole in which individual portions can be cooked and served|
casserole - large deep dish in which food can be cooked and served