Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to collared: Collared Dove
a. The part of a garment that encircles the neck, especially when raised or folded.
b. See clerical collar.
2. A tight-fitting necklace.
a. A restraining or identifying band of leather, metal, or plastic put around the neck of an animal.
b. The cushioned part of a harness that presses against the shoulders of a draft animal.
4. Biology An encircling structure or bandlike marking, as around the neck of an animal, suggestive of a collar.
5. Any of various ringlike devices used to limit, guide, or secure a machine part.
6. Slang An arrest, as of a criminal.
tr.v. col·lared, col·lar·ing, col·lars
1. To furnish with a collar.
a. To seize or detain.
b. To arrest (a criminal, for example).
[Middle English coler, from Old French colier, from Latin collāre, from collum, neck; see kwel- in Indo-European roots.]