collecting(redirected from collectings)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
v. col·lect·ed, col·lect·ing, col·lects
a. To bring together in a group or mass; gather: The teacher collected the exams.
b. To accumulate as a hobby or for study: collect old coins; collect folk tales. See Synonyms at gather.
2. To call for and obtain payment of: collect taxes.
3. To be the site for (an accumulating mass), especially as a consequence of disuse or neglect: My guitar is collecting dust in the corner.
4. To recover control of: collect one's emotions.
5. To call for (someone); pick up: collected the children and drove home.
1. To come together in a group or mass; gather: Sand collected in the crevices.
2. To take in payments or donations: collecting for charity.
adv. & adj.
With payment to be made by the receiver: called collect; a collect phone call.
[Middle English collecten, from Latin colligere, collēct- : com-, com- + legere, to gather; see leg- in Indo-European roots.]
col·lect 2(kŏl′ĭkt, -ĕkt′)
A brief formal prayer that is used in various Western liturgies before the epistle and that varies with the day.
[Middle English collecte, from Old French, from Medieval Latin collēcta, short for (ōrātiō ad) collēctam, (prayer at the) gathering, from Latin collēctus, gathered, past participle of colligere, to gather; see collect1.]
the action of accumulating (stamps, books, etc) as a hobby or for study
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||collecting - the act of gathering something together|
grouping - the activity of putting things together in groups
agglomeration - the act of collecting in a mass; the act of agglomerating
collation - assembling in proper numerical or logical sequence
compiling, compilation - the act of compiling (as into a single book or file or list); "the job of compiling the inventory took several hours"
bottle collection - the activity of collecting bottles; "bottle collection is a hobby of hers"
coin collecting, numismatics, numismatology, coin collection - the collection and study of money (and coins in particular)
pickup - the act or process of picking up or collecting from various places; "garbage pickup is on Mondays and Thursdays"
tax collection - the collection of taxes
recherche de renseignement