Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. A Roman Catholic or Anglican church other than a cathedral, having a chapter of canons and presided over by a dean or provost.
a. A church in the United States associated with others under a common body of pastors.
b. An association of such churches.
3. A church in Scotland served by two or more ministers.
1. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church Church of England a church that has an endowed chapter of canons and prebendaries attached to it but that is not a cathedral
2. (Protestantism) Protestantism US one of a group of churches presided over by a body of pastors
3. (Protestantism) Protestantism Scot a church served by two or more ministers
4. (Education) a large church endowed in the Middle Ages to become a school
5. (Education) a chapel either endowed by or connected with a college
1. a church that has a chapter of canons but no bishop's see.
2. (in the U.S.) a church or group of churches governed by a consistory or session.
3. (in Scotland) a church having two or more pastors.