Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to collins: Michael Collins
A tall iced drink made with liquor, such as gin, carbonated water, sugar, and lemon or lime juice.
[Probably from the name Collins.]
(Brewing) a tall fizzy iced drink made with gin, vodka, rum, etc, mixed with fruit juice, soda water, and sugar
[C20: probably after the proper name Collins]
1. (Biography) Michael. 1890–1922, Irish republican revolutionary: a leader of Sinn Féin; member of the Irish delegation that negotiated the treaty with Great Britain (1921) that established the Irish Free State
2. (Biography) (William) Wilkie. 1824–89, British author, noted particularly for his suspense novel The Moonstone (1868)
3. (Biography) William. 1721–59, British poet, noted for his odes; regarded as a precursor of romanticism
(often cap.) a tall drink made with gin or other spirits, lemon or lime juice, sugar, and soda water.
[1940–45; after the proper name Collins]
1. Michael, 1890–1922, Irish revolutionist and patriot.
2. William, 1721–59, English poet.
3. (William) Wilkie, 1824–89, English novelist.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Collins - English writer noted for early detective novels (1824-1889)|
|2.||collins - tall iced drink of liquor (usually gin) with fruit juice|
highball - a mixed drink made of alcoholic liquor mixed with water or a carbonated beverage and served in a tall glass