Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
- An amber mixture like autumn leaves —Francois Maspero
- Bright gold like a diadem —Angela Carter
- (Sky damp and) colorless as a cough —Sharon Sheehe Stark
- Colorless as a desert —Alice McDermott
- Colorless like the white paper streamer a Chinaman pulls out of his mouth —editor, Dragonfly Magazine, 1880
This simile appeared in a rejection letter sent to Anton Chekhov when he was still a fledgling writer.
- Colors are as soft as a Mediterranean dawn —Bryan Miller, New York Times, July 3, 1987
Miller’s simile pertained to the colors of a restaurant.
- Colors as clear as notes perfectly played —A. E. Maxwell
- Colors [of Christmas candy] … as piercing as the joys and sufferings of the poor … red like the love that was celebrated in doorways … yellow like the flames in a drunk man’s brain —Heinrich Boll
- Colors clear as fresh-cut flowers —Joan Chase
- Deep colored as old rugs —Eudora Welty
- As full of color as blood —John Logan
- Gold as the seeds of a melon —Dame Edith Sitwell
- A good soldier, like a good horse, cannot be of a bad color —Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
See Also: ARMY
- Orange as the sunset —Dashiell Hammett
- Orange bright like golden lamps in a green light —Andrew Marvell
- [A taxi] painted in an arabesque of colors, like a psychedelic dream gone wild —Andrew Kaplan
- (His split lip is as) purple as a nightcrawler stuck on a hook —Robert Flanagan
This simile begins Flanagan’s short story, Naked to Naked Goes.
- Purple as a grape —Dashiell Hammett
- [Cabbage] purply as cheap stained glass —Babette Deutsch
- The reds and browns and golds of the trees seem ready to drip from their branches like wet dye —Alice McDermott
See Also: TREES
- Silvery as sleighbells —Diane Ackerman
- Two-toned like a layer cake —Donald McCaig
|Noun||1.||colors - a flag that shows its nationality |
ensign - colors flown by a ship to show its nationality
flag - emblem usually consisting of a rectangular piece of cloth of distinctive design
|2.||colors - a distinguishing emblem; "his tie proclaimed his school colors"|
emblem - special design or visual object representing a quality, type, group, etc.