Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
col·um·bar·i·um(kŏl′əm-bâr′ē-əm) also col·um·bar·y (kŏl′əm-bĕr′ē)
n. pl. col·um·bar·i·a (-ē-ə) also col·um·bar·ies
a. A vault with niches for urns containing ashes of the dead.
b. One of the niches in such a vault.
a. A dovecote.
b. A pigeonhole in a dovecote.
[Latin columbārium, sepulchre for urns, dovecote, from columba, dove.]
n, pl -ia (-ɪə)
1. (Architecture) another name for a dovecote
2. (Architecture) a vault having niches for funeral urns
3. (Building) a hole in a wall into which a beam is inserted
[C18: from Latin, from columba dove]
col•um•bar•i•um(ˌkɒl əmˈbɛər i əm)
n., pl. -bar•i•a (-ˈbɛər i ə)
1. a sepulchral vault or other structure with recesses in the walls to receive the ashes of the dead.
2. any one of these recesses.
[1840–50; < Latin: literally, a nesting box for pigeons <columb(a) pigeon, dove]
a vault where the remains of cremated bodies are kept, usually in one of a number of recesses in a wall.See also: Burial, Death
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||columbarium - a birdhouse for pigeons |
birdhouse - a shelter for birds
|2.||columbarium - a niche for a funeral urn containing the ashes of the cremated dead|
|3.||columbarium - a sepulchral vault or other structure having recesses in the walls to receive cinerary urns|