Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1772 French commode with painted scenes on Sèvres porcelain by Martin Carlin (1730-1785)
1. A low cabinet or chest of drawers, often elaborately decorated and usually standing on legs or short feet.
a. A movable stand or cupboard containing a washbowl.
b. A chair enclosing a chamber pot.
c. A toilet.
3. A woman's ornate headdress, fashionable around 1700.
[French, from commode, convenient, from Latin commodus; see commodious.]
1. (Furniture) a piece of furniture, usually highly ornamented, containing drawers or shelves
2. (Furniture) a bedside table with a cabinet below for a chamber pot or washbasin
3. (Furniture) a movable piece of furniture, sometimes in the form of a chair, with a hinged flap concealing a chamber pot
4. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's high-tiered headdress of lace, worn in the late 17th century
[C17: from French, from Latin commodus commodious]
1. a low cabinet or similar piece of furniture, often highly ornamented, containing drawers or shelves.
2. a stand or cupboard containing a chamber pot or washbasin.
4. a portable toilet, esp. one on a chairlike frame, as for an invalid.
5. a headdress with a high framework decorated with lace, ribbons, etc., worn by women in the 17th and 18th centuries.
[1680–90; < French < Latin commodus convenient <com- + modus mode1]
An ornate, low cabinet or chest of drawers, usually on legs or short feet.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||commode - a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination|
bathroom, bath - a room (as in a residence) containing a bathtub or shower and usually a washbasin and toilet
flushless toilet - a toilet that relies on bacteria to break down waste matter (instead of using water)
plumbing fixture - a fixture for the distribution and use of water in a building
john, lav, lavatory, privy, toilet, bathroom, can - a room or building equipped with one or more toilets
toilet bowl - the bowl of a toilet that can be flushed with water
toilet seat - the hinged seat on a toilet
|2.||commode - a tall elegant chest of drawers |
drawer - a boxlike container in a piece of furniture; made so as to slide in and out
n. inodoro, servicio.