Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to common denominator: lowest common denominator
1. Mathematics A quantity into which all the denominators of a set of fractions may be divided without a remainder.
2. A commonly shared trait, characteristic, or element: "The relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia has been a complicated marriage of shared interests, clashing values and cynical accommodations. The common denominator was a desire for stability" (Peter Baker & Michael D. Shear). "Some are citizens and some are immigrants, yet the common denominator in all these stories is their experiences of marginalization and discrimination" (Maria Chávez).
1. (Mathematics) an integer exactly divisible by each denominator of a group of fractions: , , and have a common denominator of 12
2. a belief, attribute, etc, held in common by members of a class or group
1. a number that is a multiple of all the denominators of a set of fractions.
2. a trait, characteristic, belief, or the like common to or shared by all members of a group.
A quantity into which all the denominators of a set of fractions may be divided without a remainder. For example, the fractions 1/3 and 2/5 have a common denominator of 15.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||common denominator - an integer that is a common multiple of the denominators of two or more fractions|
denominator - the divisor of a fraction
|2.||common denominator - an attribute that is common to all members of a category|
attribute - an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of an entity