|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
6,047,358,860 visitors served.
|Also found in: Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
1. the act or process of making amends for something
2. something given as reparation for loss, injury, etc.; indemnity
3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Physiology) the automatic movements made by the body to maintain balance
4. the attempt to conceal or offset one's shortcomings by the exaggerated exhibition of qualities regarded as desirable
5. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) Biology abnormal growth and increase in size in one organ in response to the removal or inactivation of another
com•pen•sa•tion (ˌkɒm pənˈseɪ ʃən)
1. the act of compensating.
2. the state of being compensated.
3. something given or received for services, debt, loss, injury, etc.; indemnity; reparation; payment.
4. Biol. the improvement of any defect by the excessive development or action of another part of the same structure.
5. a psychological mechanism by which an individual attempts to make up for some personal deficiency by developing or stressing another aspect of personality or ability.
[1350–1400; < Latin]
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
1. reparation, damages, payment, recompense, indemnification, offset, remuneration, indemnity, restitution, reimbursement, requital He received one year's salary as compensation for loss of office.
A. N (= award etc) → compensación f; (for loss, damage) → indemnización f, resarcimiento m; (= reward) → recompensa f
they got £2,000 compensation → recibieron 2.000 libras de indemnización
in compensation (for) → en compensación(por)
compensation [ˌkɒmpənˈseɪʃən] n
(financial) → dédommagement m, indemnité f
They got £2000 compensation.; They got £2000 in compensation → Ils ont reçu une indemnité de deux mille livres. compensation award, compensation package, compensation payout
compensation → تعويض odškodnění kompensation Entschädigung αποζημίωση compensación hyvitys compensation naknada risarcimento 賠償金 보상 compensatie godtgjørelse wynagrodzenie compensação компенсация kompensation การชดเชย tazminat sự đền bù 赔偿金
compensation [ˌkɒmpənˈseɪʃən] n (see vb) → compensazione f, indennità, risarcimento
in compensation (for) → come compenso (per), come indennizzo (per)
1. cualidad de compensar o equilibrar un defecto;
2. mecanismo de defensa;
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, add the site to iGoogle, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
Act of indemnity
I am told the government here will make me a compensation for my own and my family's loss, which I think cannot be much less than £3,000 sterling.
The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States.
That river was to be my compensation for the lost freedom of the farming country.
compensationCompensation & Pension
Compensation Activity Tracking System
Compensation Advisory Council
Compensation Advisory Organization of Michigan
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation and Benefits Committee
Compensation and Benefits Instructions
Compensation and Benefits Professionals of Indiana
Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee
Compensation and Employee Benefits Division
Compensation and Estimation for Delay and Packet Dropout
Compensation and Management Development Committee
Compensation and Pension
Compensation Circuit Isolation Valve
Compensation Claim Processing System
Compensation Discussion and Analysis
compensation for delay
Compensation for Detriment Caused by Defective Administration
compensation for injury
compensation for labor
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup