compost(redirected from composters)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A mixture of organic matter, as from leaves and manure, that has decayed or has been digested by organisms, used to improve soil structure and provide nutrients.
tr.v. com·post·ed, com·post·ing, com·posts
1. To convert (vegetable matter) to compost.
2. To fertilize with compost.
[Middle English composte, from Old French, mixture, compost, from Latin compositum, mixture, from neuter past participle of compōnere, to put together; see component.]
1. (Agriculture) a mixture of organic residues such as decomposed vegetation, manure, etc, used as a fertilizer
2. (Horticulture) a mixture, normally of plant remains, peat, charcoal, etc, in which plants are grown, esp in pots
3. rare a compound or mixture
4. (Agriculture) to make (vegetable matter) into compost
5. (Agriculture) to fertilize with compost
[C14: from Old French compost, from Latin compositus put together; see composite]
1. a mixture of decaying organic matter, as decomposing leaves, manure, kitchen scraps, etc., used for fertilizing soil.
2. a composition; compound.v.t.
3. to use in compost; make compost of.
4. to apply compost to (soil).
[1350–1400; Middle English < Anglo-French, Middle French < Latin compositum, compositus composite; compare compote]
A mixture of decayed or decaying organic matter used to fertilize soil. Compost is usually made by gathering plant material, such as leaves, grass clippings, and vegetable peels, into a pile or bin and letting it rot. Manure and other substances are often added to enrich the mixture or to speed its decomposition.
Past participle: composted
1. A material either based on loam, peat or a peat substitute, such as coir, used for potting up plants in containers.
2. An organic material that results from the decomposition by bacteria and fungi of waste matter, such as grass clippings, prunings and leaves. It can be incorporated into the soil to act as a soil improver or used as a mulch.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||compost - a mixture of decaying vegetation and manure; used as a fertilizer|
composition - a mixture of ingredients
|Verb||1.||compost - convert to compost; "compost organic debris"|
convert - change the nature, purpose, or function of something; "convert lead into gold"; "convert hotels into jails"; "convert slaves to laborers"
خَليطٌ من الأوْراق والرَّوْث للتَّسْميد
compost[ˈkɒmpɒst] n → concime m
compost(ˈkompost) , ((American) -poust) noun
rotting vegetable matter etc used as fertilizer. kompos, mengmis, gemengde bemesting خَليطٌ من الأوْراق والرَّوْث للتَّسْميد тор adubo kompost der Kompost kompost λίπασμαabono orgánico kompost کود kompostimulta compost קוֹמפּוֹסט एक तरह की खाद kompost komposzt pupuk safnhaugaáburður composta, terricciato 堆肥 퇴비 kompostas komposts membajai compostkompost kompost نباتى سره (تر كيب شوې) دخو سا پاڼو سره adubo bălegar, gunoi de grajd компост kompost kompost prirodno đubrivo kompost พืชที่หมักไว้เป็นปุ๋ย gübre 堆肥 компост, складене добриво سڑے پتوں کی کھاد phân xanh 混合肥料，堆肥