Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to concordance: concordance rate
1. Agreement; concord.
2. An alphabetical index of all the words in a text or corpus of texts, showing every contextual occurrence of a word: a concordance of Shakespeare's works.
3. Genetics The presence of a given trait in both members of a pair of twins.
1. a state or condition of agreement or harmony
2. (Library Science & Bibliography) a book that indexes the principal words in a literary work, often with the immediate context and an account of the meaning
3. (Library Science & Bibliography) an index produced by computer or machine, alphabetically listing every word in a text
4. an alphabetical list of subjects or topics
con•cord•ance(kɒnˈkɔr dns, kən-)
1. agreement; concord; harmony.
2. an alphabetical index of the principal words or topics of a book.
3. (in genetic studies) the degree of similarity in a pair of twins with respect to the presence or absence of a particular disease or trait.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||concordance - a harmonious state of things in general and of their properties (as of colors and sounds); congruity of parts with one another and with the whole|
order - established customary state (especially of society); "order ruled in the streets"; "law and order"
peace - harmonious relations; freedom from disputes; "the roommates lived in peace together"
comity - a state or atmosphere of harmony or mutual civility and respect
|2.||concordance - agreement of opinions|
agreement - the verbal act of agreeing
|3.||concordance - an index of all main words in a book along with their immediate contexts|
index - an alphabetical listing of names and topics along with page numbers where they are discussed