confabulate(redirected from confabulated)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
Related to confabulated: confabulatory
intr.v. con·fab·u·lat·ed, con·fab·u·lat·ing, con·fab·u·lates
1. To talk casually; chat.
2. Psychology To fill in gaps in one's memory with fabrications that one believes to be facts.
[Latin cōnfābulārī, cōnfābulāt- : com-, com- + fābulārī, to talk (from fābula, conversation; see fable).]
con·fab′u·la·to′ry (-lə-tôr′ē) adj.
1. to talk together; converse; chat
2. (Psychiatry) psychiatry to replace the gaps left by a disorder of the memory with imaginary remembered experiences consistently believed to be true. See also paramnesia
[C17: from Latin confābulārī, from fābulārī to talk, from fābula a story; see fable]
v.i. -lat•ed, -lat•ing.
1. to converse informally or privately.
2. Psychiatry. to fill a gap in memory with a falsification believed to be true.
[1605–15; < Latin confābulātus << fābula talk, fable]
con•fab′u•la•to`ry (-ləˌtɔr i, -ˌtoʊr i) adj.
Past participle: confabulated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||confabulate - unconsciously replace fact with fantasy in one's memory|
psychiatry, psychological medicine, psychopathology - the branch of medicine dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders
|2.||confabulate - talk socially without exchanging too much information; "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"|
chew the fat, chitchat, chit-chat, claver, confab, jaw, natter, shoot the breeze, chat, chaffer, gossip, chatter, visit
|3.||confabulate - have a conference in order to talk something over; "We conferred about a plan of action"|
hash out, talk over, discuss - speak with others about (something); talk (something) over in detail; have a discussion; "We discussed our household budget"
collogue - confer secretly