conformation(redirected from conformational)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. The act of conforming or the state of being conformed.
2. The structure or outline of an item or entity, determined by the arrangement of its parts.
3. A symmetrical arrangement of the parts of a thing.
4. One of the spatial arrangements of atoms in a molecule that can come about through free rotation of the atoms about a chemical bond.
1. the general shape or outline of an object; configuration
2. the arrangement of the parts of an object
3. the act or state of conforming
4. (Chemistry) chem
a. another name for configuration3a
b. one of the configurations of a molecule that can easily change its shape and can consequently exist in equilibrium with molecules of different configuration
con•for•ma•tion(ˌkɒn fɔrˈmeɪ ʃən)
1. structure; form, as of a physical entity.
2. symmetrical arrangement of parts.
3. the act or process of conforming; adaptation.
4. the state of being conformed.
5. an atomic spatial arrangement that results from rotation of carbon atoms about single bonds within an organic molecule (contrasted with configuration).
[1505–15; < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||conformation - a symmetrical arrangement of the parts of a thing|
|2.||conformation - any spatial attributes (especially as defined by outline); "he could barely make out their shapes"|
bluntness, dullness - without sharpness or clearness of edge or point; "the dullness of the pencil made his writing illegible"
topography - the configuration of a surface and the relations among its man-made and natural features
lobularity - the property of having lobules
angularity - the property possessed by a shape that has angles
narrowing - an instance of becoming narrow
roundness - the property possessed by a line or surface that is curved and not angular
straightness - freedom from crooks or curves or bends or angles
crookedness - having or distinguished by crooks or curves or bends or angles
stratification - a layered configuration
|3.||conformation - acting according to certain accepted standards; "their financial statements are in conformity with generally accepted accounting practices"|
cooperation - joint operation or action; "their cooperation with us was essential for the success of our mission"
formality - compliance with formal rules; "courtroom formality"
line - acting in conformity; "in line with"; "he got out of line"; "toe the line"
keeping - conformity or harmony; "his behavior was not in keeping with the occasion"
1. The act of making suitable to an end or the condition of being made suitable to an end: