Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A member of the same kind, class, or group.
2. An organism belonging to the same taxonomic genus as another organism.
3. Chemistry A compound produced in the same process that produces another, often structurally similar compound.
[From Latin, of the same race : com-, com- + genus, gener-, race; see genə- in Indo-European roots.]
con′ge·ner′ic (-nĕr′ĭk), con·gen′er·ous (kən-jĕn′ər-əs, kŏn-) adj.
(Biology) belonging to the same group, esp (of animals or plants) belonging to the same genus
con•ge•ner•ic(ˌkɒn dʒəˈnɛr ɪk)
1. Also, con•gen•er•ous (kənˈdʒɛn ər əs) of the same kind or genus.
2. offering a number of closely related services: a congeneric investment company.n.
4. a congeneric company.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||congeneric - an animal or plant that bears a relationship to another (as related by common descent or by membership in the same genus)|
|Adj.||1.||congeneric - belonging to the same genus|