Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to conner: Name meanings
In opposition or disagreement; against: debated the issue pro and con.
1. An argument or opinion against something.
2. One who holds an opposing opinion or view.
[Short for contra.]
tr.v. conned, con·ning, cons Archaic
1. To study, peruse, or examine carefully.
2. To learn or commit to memory.
con 3or conn (kŏn)Nautical
tr.v. conned, con·ning, cons or conns
To direct the steering or course of (a vessel).
1. The area or structure on a vessel from which the vessel is conned.
2. The position or authority of the officer conning a vessel.
[From cond, from Middle English conduen, from Old French conduire, from Latin condūcere, to lead together; see conduce.]
con 4(kŏn) Slang
tr.v. conned, con·ning, cons
To swindle (a victim) by first winning his or her confidence; dupe.
Of, relating to, or involving a swindle or fraud: a con artist; a con job.
[Short for confidence.]