Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or expressing a consensus: a consensual decision.
a. Law Existing or entered into by mutual consent without formalization by document or ceremony: a consensual marriage; a consensual contract.
b. Involving the willing participation of both or all parties, especially in an illegal transaction or practice: the consensual crimes of prostitution, drug abuse, and illegal gambling.
a. Of or relating to a reflexive response of one body structure following stimulation of another, such as the concurrent constriction of one pupil in response to light shined in the other.
b. Of or relating to involuntary movement of a body part accompanying voluntary movement of another.
1. (Law) law (of a contract, agreement, etc) existing by consent
2. (Law) law (of a sexual activity) performed with the consent of all parties involved
3. (Physiology) (of certain reflex actions of a part of the body) responding to stimulation of another part
[from consensus + -al1]
con•sen•su•al(kənˈsɛn ʃu əl)
1. formed or existing by mutual consent: a consensual divorce.
2. involuntarily correlative with a voluntary action, as the contraction of the iris when the eye is opened.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||consensual - existing by consent; "a consensual contract"|
law, jurisprudence - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
accordant - being in agreement or harmony; often followed by `with'; "a place perfectly accordant with man's nature"-Thomas Hardy