Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to contentious: Contentious jurisdiction
1. Given to contention; quarrelsome. See Synonyms at argumentative.
2. Involving or causing contention; controversial: "a central and contentious element of the book" (Tim W. Ferguson).
1. tending to argue or quarrel
2. causing or characterized by dispute; controversial
3. (Law) law relating to a cause or legal business that is contested, esp a probate matter
1. tending to argument or strife; quarrelsome: a contentious crew.
2. causing, involving, or characterized by argument or controversy: contentious issues.
3. pertaining to causes between contending parties involved in litigation.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||contentious - inclined or showing an inclination to dispute or disagree, even to engage in law suits; "a style described as abrasive and contentious"; "a disputatious lawyer"; "a litigious and acrimonious spirit"|
argumentative - given to or characterized by argument; "an argumentative discourse"; "argumentative to the point of being cantankerous"; "an intelligent but argumentative child"
|2.||contentious - involving or likely to cause controversy; "a central and contentious element of the book"- Tim W.Ferfuson|
controversial - marked by or capable of arousing controversy; "the issue of the death penalty is highly controversial"; "Rushdie's controversial book"; "a controversial decision on affirmative action"
1. Given to arguing:
2. Having or showing an eagerness to fight: