Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms.
Related to contributive: high-handed, inconsideration
v. con·trib·ut·ed, con·trib·ut·ing, con·trib·utes
1. To give or supply in common with others; give to a common fund or for a common purpose.
2. To submit for publication: contributed two stories to the summer issue.
1. To make a contribution: contributes to several charities.
2. To help bring about a result; act as a factor: Exercise contributes to better health.
3. To submit material for publication.
[Latin contribuere, contribūt-, to bring together : com-, com- + tribuere, to grant; see tribute.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||contributive - tending to bring about; being partly responsible for; "working conditions are not conducive to productivity"; "the seaport was a contributing factor in the growth of the city"; "a contributory factor"|
causative - producing an effect; "poverty as a causative factor in crime"