Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An unusual object that arouses comment or interest.
2. A genre painting, popular especially in the 1700s, depicting a group of people engaged in conversation or an activity.
1. something, esp an unusual object, that provokes conversation
2. (Art Terms) (esp in 18th-century Britain) a group portrait in a landscape or domestic setting
3. (Theatre) a play emphasizing dialogue
1. any object that arouses comment because of some striking or unusual quality.
2. a group portrait of people in their customary setting.