Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Informal A raccoon.
2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a black person.
[Short for raccoon. Sense 2, perhaps after Zip Coon, an African-American character (depicted as an upstart freeman) in the song "Zip Coon" frequently sung in 19th-century blackface minstrel shows (the character perhaps being so named in reference to the black facial mask of the raccoon and to the practice of hunting and eating raccoons frequently mentioned in minstrel show songs), possibly influenced by 19th-century slang coon, rural white American (often one of modest means and opposed to the slave-owning Southern establishment), fellow, so called in reference to the association of coonskin with American frontiersmen.]
1. (Animals) informal short for raccoon
2. (Peoples) offensive slang a Black person or a native Australian
3. (Peoples) offensive South African a person of mixed race
usage: Definition 2 is a slur and should be avoided. It is used with disparaging intent and is perceived as highly insulting.—n.
2. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. (a contemptuous term used to refer to a black person.)
[1735–45, Amer.; short for raccoon]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coon - an eccentric or undignified rustic; "I'll be a gone coon when the battle starts"|
rustic - an unsophisticated country person
|2.||coon - (ethnic slur) extremely offensive name for a Black person; "only a Black can call another Black a nigga"|
ethnic slur - a slur on someone's race or language
|3.||coon - North American raccoon|