corkwood(redirected from corkwoods)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to corkwoods: corkwood tree
1. Any of various trees having soft lightweight wood, especially:
a. A deciduous shrub or small tree (Leitneria floridana) native to wet regions of the southeast United States.
b. See balsa.
c. Any of certain Australian shrubs or small trees of the genus Duboisia having leaves used for the commercial extraction of belladonna alkaloids.
2. The wood of any of these trees.
1. (Plants) a small tree, Leitneria floridana, of the southeastern US, having very lightweight porous wood: family Leitneriaceae
2. (Plants) any other tree with light porous wood
3. (Forestry) the wood of any of these trees
1. a small tree, Leitneria floridana, with light green leaves and woolly catkins.
2. any of certain trees and shrubs yielding a light and porous wood, as the balsa.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||corkwood - very small deciduous dioecious tree or shrub of damp habitats in southeastern United States having extremely light wood|