corona(redirected from corona veneris)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. co·ro·nas or co·ro·nae (-nē)
a. A faintly colored luminous ring or halo appearing to surround a celestial body when viewed through a haze or thin cloud, especially such a ring around the moon or sun, caused by scattering or diffraction of light from suspended particulate matter in the intervening medium. Also called aureole.
b. The luminous irregular envelope of extremely hot and highly ionized gas located outside the chromosphere of the sun.
2. Architecture An overhanging part near the top of a classical cornice, having a flat outer face.
3. A cigar with a long tapering body and blunt ends.
4. Anatomy The crownlike upper portion of a bodily part or structure, such as the top of the head.
5. Botany A crown-shaped, funnel-shaped, or trumpet-shaped outgrowth or appendage of the perianth of certain flowers, such as a daffodil. Also called crown.
6. Electricity A faint glow enveloping the high-field electrode in a corona discharge, often accompanied by streamers directed toward the low-field electrode.
[Latin corōna; see crown.]
n, pl -nas or -nae (-niː)
1. (Astronomy) a circle of light around a luminous body, usually the moon
2. (Astronomy) Also called: aureole the outermost region of the sun's atmosphere, visible as a faint halo during a solar eclipse
3. (Architecture) architect the flat vertical face of a cornice just above the soffit
4. something resembling a corona or halo
5. (Architecture) a circular chandelier suspended from the roof of a church
6. (Botany) botany
a. the trumpet-shaped part of the corolla of daffodils and similar plants; the crown
b. a crown of leafy outgrowths from inside the petals of some flowers
7. (Anatomy) anatomy a crownlike structure, such as the top of the head
8. (Zoology) zoology the head or upper surface of an animal, such as the body of an echinoid or the disc and arms of a crinoid
9. (Recreational Drugs) a long cigar with blunt ends
10. (General Physics) physics short for corona discharge
[C16: from Latin: crown, from Greek korōnē anything curved; related to Greek korōnis wreath, korax crow, Latin curvus curved]
n., pl. -nas, -nae (-nē).
a. a white or colored circle or set of concentric circles of light seen around a luminous body, esp. around the sun or moon.
b. a similar colored circle or set of circles visible in the atmosphere and attributable to the diffraction caused by thin clouds, mist, or sometimes dust (disting. from halo).
2. a diffuse, hot envelope of ionized gas surrounding the sun that is visible during total solar eclipse.
3. a long, straight, untapered cigar, rounded at the closed end.
4. a crownlike appendage on a plant, esp. on the inner side of a corolla, as in the narcissus.
5. the upper portion or crown of a part, as of the head.
7. the projecting slablike member of a classical cornice, supported by the bed molding or by modillions, dentils, etc., and surmounted by the cymatium.
8. a metal chandelier having the form of one or more concentric hoops, used esp. in churches.
[1555–65; < Latin corōna garland, crown< Greek korṓnē crown, curved object; akin to korōnís curved, beaked, kórax crow1, raven]
a city in SE California. 100,208.
1. The irregular envelope of gas outside the chromosphere of a star, especially the sun.
2. A faintly colored shining ring appearing around a celestial body, especially the moon or sun, when seen through a haze or thin cloud.
3. A crown-shaped structure on the inner side of the petals of some flowers, such as the daffodil.
The Sun’s gaseous outer layer that emits solar wind and is visible as a halo during a total solar eclipse.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||corona - the outermost region of the sun's atmosphere; visible as a white halo during a solar eclipse|
|2.||corona - (botany) the trumpet-shaped or cup-shaped outgrowth of the corolla of a daffodil or narcissus flower|
corolla - (botany) the whorl of petals of a flower that collectively form an inner floral envelope or layer of the perianth; "we cultivate the flower for its corolla"
|3.||corona - an electrical discharge accompanied by ionization of surrounding atmosphere|
corona discharge, corposant, electric glow, Saint Elmo's fire, Saint Elmo's light, Saint Ulmo's fire, Saint Ulmo's light, St. Elmo's fire
|4.||corona - one or more circles of light seen around a luminous object|
|5.||corona - (anatomy) any structure that resembles a crown in shape|
anatomical structure, bodily structure, body structure, complex body part, structure - a particular complex anatomical part of a living thing; "he has good bone structure"
|6.||corona - a long cigar with blunt ends|
cigar - a roll of tobacco for smoking