Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
cor·o·nal(kôr′ə-nəl, kŏr′-, kə-rō′nəl)
1. A garland, wreath, or circlet for the head.
2. Linguistics A coronal consonant.
1. Of or relating to a corona, especially of the head.
2. Of, relating to, or having the direction of the coronal suture or of the plane dividing the body into front and back portions.
3. Linguistics Articulated by raising the blade of the tongue, as (t) in tip and (n) in night.
[Middle English, from Latin corōnālis, of a crown, from corōna, crown; see crown.]
1. poetic a circlet for the head; crown
2. a wreath or garland
3. (Anatomy) anatomy short for coronal suture
4. of or relating to a corona or coronal
5. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics a less common word for retroflex
[C16: from Late Latin corōnālis belonging to a crown]
cor•o•nal(n. ˈkɔr ə nl, ˈkɒr-; adj. usu. kəˈroʊn l)
1. a crown; coronet.
2. a garland.adj.
3. of or pertaining to a coronal or corona.
4. (of a speech sound) articulated with the blade of the tongue raised.
Relating to the crown of the head.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coronal - flower arrangement consisting of a circular band of foliage or flowers for ornamental purposes|
crown - a wreath or garland worn on the head to signify victory