Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An entity such as a business, municipality, or organization, that involves more than one person but that has met the legal requirements to operate as a single person, so that it may enter into contracts and engage in transactions under its own identity.
2. Such a body created for purposes of government. Also called body corporate.
3. A group of people combined into or acting as one body.
4. Informal A protruding abdominal region; a potbelly.
1. (Law) a group of people authorized by law to act as a legal personality and having its own powers, duties, and liabilities
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Also called: municipal corporation the municipal authorities of a city or town
3. a group of people acting as one body
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) See public corporation
5. (Anatomy) informal a large paunch or belly
cor•po•ra•tion(ˌkɔr pəˈreɪ ʃən)
1. an association of individuals, created by law and having an existence apart from that of its members as well as distinct and inherent powers and liabilities.
2. an incorporated business; company.
3. (often cap.) the principal officials of a city or town.
4. any group of persons united or regarded as united in one body.
5. Informal. a paunch; potbelly.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Late Latin corporātiō guild, Latin: physical makeup, build. See corporate, -tion]
usage: See collective noun.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||corporation - a business firm whose articles of incorporation have been approved in some state|
greenmail - (corporation) the practice of purchasing enough shares in a firm to threaten a takeover and thereby forcing the owners to buy those shares back at a premium in order to stay in business
judgement in personam, judgment in personam, personal judgement, personal judgment - a judgment rendered against an individual (or corporation) for the payment of money damages
case study - a careful study of some social unit (as a corporation or division within a corporation) that attempts to determine what factors led to its success or failure
conglomerate, empire - a group of diverse companies under common ownership and run as a single organization
large cap - a corporation with a large capitalization; "he works for a large cap"
small cap - a corporation with a small capitalization; "this annual conference is a showcase for ambitious small caps"
business firm, firm, house - the members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments; "he worked for a brokerage house"
close corporation, closed corporation, private corporation, privately held corporation - a corporation owned by a few people; shares have no public market
closely held corporation - stock is publicly traded but most is held by a few shareholders who have no plans to sell
FDIC, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation - a federally sponsored corporation that insures accounts in national banks and other qualified institutions
Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, FHLMC, Freddie Mac - a corporation authorized by Congress to provide a secondary market for residential mortgages
Fannie Mae, Federal National Mortgage Association, FNMA - a federally chartered corporation that purchases mortgages
Boy Scouts of America - a corporation that operates through a national council that charters local councils all over the United States; the purpose is character building and citizenship training
event planner - someone who plans social events as a profession (usually for government or corporate officials)
redemption - repayment of the principal amount of a debt or security at or before maturity (as when a corporation repurchases its own stock)
|2.||corporation - slang for a paunch|
1. business, company, concern, firm, society, association, organization, enterprise, establishment, corporate body chairman of a huge multi-national corporation
(= municipal corporation) → Gemeinde f, → Stadt f; the Mayor and Corporation → der Bürgermeister und die Stadt
(Brit Comm: = incorporated company) → Handelsgesellschaft f; (US Comm: = limited liability company) → Gesellschaft f → mit beschränkter Haftung; private corporation (Comm) → Privatunternehmen nt; public corporation (Comm) → staatliches Unternehmen
(Brit, hum, = large belly) → Schmerbauch m
n → gemeindeeigener Besitz
n → Körperschaftssteuer f
united. corporate effort. verbonde, korporatiewe مُتَّحِـد، مُتَضامِن корпоративен conjunto společný vereinigt virksomheds-; selskabs- συλλογικόςconjunto ühendatud, ühine مشترک؛ گروهی yhteinen unifié שִׁתוּפִי निगम से सम्बन्धित zajednički egyetemleges bersatu sameiginlegur collettivo 共同の 법인의 bendras kopīgs korporat gezamenlijkfelleszbiorowy متحد شوى، يو شوى سره نښتى: حقوقى شخصيت conjunto colectiv корпоративный spoločný skupen udružen gemensam, kollektiv ที่ร่วมกัน ortak, birleşik, birleşmiş 集體的 корпоративний; спільний اجتماعى، مشتركہ đoàn thể 共同的ˌcorpoˈration noun
a body of people acting as one individual eg for administration or business purposes. the British Broadcasting Corporation. korporasie هَيْـئَـه корпорация corporação společnost die Korporation virksomhed εταιρείαcorporación korporatsioon, aktsiaselts هر گروهی که بتواند مانند یک فرد عمل کند yhtiö sociétéתאגיד निगम korporacija társaság perusahaan hlutafélag; fyrirtæki; viðurkenndur réttaraðili corporazione, società 法人 법인 korporacija, bendrovė korporācija perbadanan corporatieselskapprzedsiębiorstwo اتحاد يه، سياسى يووالى، كار پوريشن corporação corporaţie, societate (pe acţiuni) корпорация spoločnosť (poslovna) družba korporacija korporation, kår, bolag บริษัท anonim şirket 公司 корпорація جماعت بمنزلہ فرد، جماعت جسے قانوناً فرد واحد تصور كيا جاۓ hội đồng thành phố 公司