Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. An extent of open ground partially or completely enclosed by walls or buildings; a courtyard.
b. Abbr. Ct. A short street, especially a wide alley walled by buildings on three sides.
c. A large open section of a building, often with a glass roof or skylight.
d. A large building, such as a mansion, standing in a courtyard.
a. The place of residence of a sovereign or dignitary; a royal mansion or palace.
b. The retinue of a sovereign, including the royal family and personal servants, advisers, and ministers.
c. A sovereign's governing body, including the council of ministers and state advisers.
d. A formal meeting or reception presided over by a sovereign.
a. A person or body of persons that presides over the hearing of cases; a judge or panel of judges.
b. The building, hall, or room where cases are heard.
c. The session at which cases are heard.
4. An ecclesiastical court.
5. Sports An open level area marked with appropriate lines, upon which a game, such as tennis, handball, or basketball, is played.
6. The body of directors of an organization, especially of a corporation.
7. A legislative assembly.
v. court·ed, court·ing, courts
a. To attempt to gain; seek: courting wealth and fame.
b. To behave so as to invite or incur: courts disaster by taking drugs.
2. To try to gain the love or affections of, especially to seek to marry.
3. To attempt to gain the favor of by attention or flattery: a salesperson courting a potential customer.
4. Zoology To behave so as to attract (a mate).
1. To pursue a courtship; woo.
2. Zoology To engage in courtship behavior.
pay court to
1. To flatter with solicitous overtures in an attempt to obtain something or clear away antagonism.
2. To seek someone's love; woo.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||courting - a man's courting of a woman; seeking the affections of a woman (usually with the hope of marriage); "its was a brief and intense courtship"|
appeal, entreaty, prayer - earnest or urgent request; "an entreaty to stop the fighting"; "an appeal for help"; "an appeal to the public to keep calm"
bundling - a onetime custom during courtship of unmarried couples occupying the same bed without undressing