Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to croquet: croquet equipment
1. An outdoor game in which the players drive traditionally wooden balls through a series of wickets using long-handled mallets.
2. The act of driving away an opponent's croquet ball by hitting one's own ball when the two are in contact.
tr.v. cro·queted (-kād′), cro·quet·ing (-kā′ĭng), cro·quets (-kāz′)
To drive away (an opponent's croquet ball) by hitting one's own ball when the two are in contact.
[French dialectal, hockey stick, from Old North French, shepherd's crook; see crocket.]
1. (Croquet) a game for two to four players who hit a wooden ball through iron hoops with mallets in order to hit a peg
2. (Croquet) the act of croqueting
vb, -quets (-keɪz; -kɪz) , -queting (-keɪɪŋ; -kɪɪŋ) or -queted (-keɪd; -kɪd)
(Croquet) to drive away (another player's ball) by hitting one's own ball when the two are in contact
[C19: perhaps from French dialect, variant of crochet (little hook)]
1. a lawn game played by knocking wooden balls through metal wickets with mallets.
2. the act of driving away an opponent's ball by striking one's own when the two are in contact.v.t.
3. to drive away (a ball) by a croquet.
[1855–60; < French (dial.): hockey stick, literally, little hook; see crocket]
Past participle: croqueted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||croquet - a game in which players hit a wooden ball through a series of hoops; the winner is the first to traverse all the hoops and hit a peg|
outdoor game - an athletic game that is played outdoors
croquet equipment - sports equipment used in playing croquet
croquet - drive away by hitting with one's ball, "croquet the opponent's ball"
|Verb||1.||croquet - drive away by hitting with one's ball, "croquet the opponent's ball"|
croquet - a game in which players hit a wooden ball through a series of hoops; the winner is the first to traverse all the hoops and hit a peg
hit - cause to move by striking; "hit a ball"
|2.||croquet - play a game in which players hit a wooden ball through a series of hoops|
play - participate in games or sport; "We played hockey all afternoon"; "play cards"; "Pele played for the Brazilian teams in many important matches"
croquet[ˈkrəʊkeɪ] N (= game) → croquet m
croquet[ˈkrəʊkeɪ] n (= game) → croquet m
n → Krocket(spiel) nt; croquet lawn → Krocketrasen m
croquet[ˈkrəʊkeɪ] n → croquet m
croquet(ˈkrəukei) , ((American) krouˈkei) noun
a game in which wooden balls are driven by mallets through a series of hoops stuck in the ground. kroukie لُعْبـة الكروكي крокет croquete kroket das Krocket kroket κροκέcroquet kroket بازی کروکه kroketti croquet קְרוֹקֵט क्राक्वेट, एक खेल जो लकड़ी की गेंद और डण्डे से खेला जाता है kroket krokett permainan kroket krokket pallamaglio クローケー 크로케 kroketas krokets kroket croquetkrokketkrokiet د کروکی لوبه croquet crochet крокет kroket kroket kroket krocket เกมตีลูกบอลไม้ให้เข้าห่วงเล่นบนสนามหญ้า kroket (oyunu) 槌球遊戲 крокет كروكى، چوب بازى môn bóng vồ 槌球游戏