crumb(redirected from crumbing)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A very small piece broken from a baked item, such as a cookie, cake, or bread.
2. A small fragment, scrap, or portion: eraser crumbs; not a crumb of kindness for you.
3. The soft inner portion of bread.
4. Slang A contemptible, untrustworthy, or loathsome person.
v. crumbed, crumb·ing, crumbs
1. To break into very small pieces; crumble.
2. To cover or prepare with very small pieces of bread.
3. To brush (a table or cloth) clear of small scraps or fragments of food.
To break apart in very small pieces: a solid cake that won't crumb.
[Middle English crome, from Old English cruma.]
1. a small fragment of bread, cake, or other baked foods
2. a small piece or bit: crumbs of information.
3. (Cookery) the soft inner part of bread
4. slang a contemptible person
5. (Cookery) (tr) to prepare or cover (food) with breadcrumbs
6. to break into small fragments
7. (esp of pie crusts) made with a mixture of biscuit crumbs, sugar, etc
8. (Cookery) (esp of pie crusts) made with a mixture of biscuit crumbs, sugar, etc
[Old English cruma; related to Middle Dutch krome, Middle High German krūme, Latin grūmus heap of earth]
1. a small particle of bread, cake, etc., that has broken off.
2. a fragment of anything; bit.
3. the soft inner portion of bread (disting. from crust).
4. crumbs, a cake topping made of sugar, flour, butter, and spice.
5. Slang. a contemptible person.v.t.
6. (in cooking) to top, coat, or prepare with crumbs.
7. to break into crumbs.
8. to remove crumbs from.
[before 1000; Old English cruma; akin to Middle High German krume crumb]
crumb- The soft inner part of a bread roll, slice, or loaf.
See also related terms for loaf.
Past participle: crumbed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||crumb - a very small quantity of something; "he gave only a crumb of information about his plans"; "there were few crumbs of comfort in the report"|
|2.||crumb - a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible; "only a rotter would do that"; "kill the rat"; "throw the bum out"; "you cowardly little pukes!"; "the British call a contemptible person a `git'"|
|3.||crumb - small piece of e.g. bread or cake|
bite, morsel, bit - a small amount of solid food; a mouthful; "all they had left was a bit of bread"
baked goods - foods (like breads and cakes and pastries) that are cooked in an oven
breadcrumb - crumb of bread; used especially for coating or thickening
cracker crumbs - crumbs of crackers used especially for coating or thickening
|Verb||1.||crumb - coat with bread crumbs; "crumb a cutlet"|
cookery, cooking, preparation - the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat; "cooking can be a great art"; "people are needed who have experience in cookery"; "he left the preparation of meals to his wife"
|2.||crumb - break into crumbs|
|3.||crumb - remove crumbs from; "crumb the table"|
vụn bánh mì
(of bread etc) → Krümel m, → Krume f, → Brösel m; (inside of loaf) → Krume f; can you spare a crumb? → haben Sie eine Scheibe Brot für einen hungrigen Menschen?; crumbs from the rich man’s/master’s table → Brosamen, die von des Reichen/des Herren Tisch fallen; a few crumbs of information → ein paar Informationsbrocken; that’s one crumb of comfort → das ist (wenigstens) ein winziger Trost
interj crumbs! (inf) → Mensch! (inf), → Mensch Meier! (inf)
vt (Cook) fish etc → panieren
a tiny piece, especially of bread. She puts crumbs for the birds on her window-sill. krummel, brokkie, kriesel فُتات خُبْز троха migalha drobek der Krümel krumme ψίχουλοmigaja (leiva)raasuke خرده؛ تکه muru miette פֵּרוּר ओटी का टुकड़ा mrvica morzsa remah (brauð)mylsna briciola, mollica パンくず 부스러기 trupinys (maizes) drupata cebisan kruimelsmule, raspokruch کوچنی ټوټه ،ټوټه ټوټه کول migalha firimitură хлебные крошки omrvinka drobtina mrvica [bröd]smula เศษขนมปัง ekmek kırıntısı 麵包屑 крихта, кришка روٹی کا ٹکڑا các vụn bánh mỳ 面包屑