Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to curia: Cydia
n. pl. cu·ri·ae (ko͝or′ē-ē′, kyo͝or′-)
a. One of the ten primitive subdivisions of a tribe in early Rome, consisting of ten gentes.
b. The assembly place of such a subdivision.
a. The Roman senate or any of the various buildings in which it met in republican Rome.
b. The place of assembly of high councils in various Italian cities under Roman administration.
3. The ensemble of central administrative and governmental services in imperial Rome.
4. often Curia Roman Catholic Church The central administration governing the Church.
a. A medieval assembly or council.
b. A medieval royal court of justice.
n, pl -riae (-rɪˌiː)
1. (Roman Catholic Church) (sometimes capital) the papal court and government of the Roman Catholic Church
2. (Historical Terms) (in ancient Rome)
a. any of the ten subdivisions of the Latin, Sabine, or Etruscan tribes
b. a meeting place of such a subdivision
c. the senate house of Rome
d. the senate of an Italian town under Roman administration
3. (Historical Terms) (in the Middle Ages) a court held in the king's name. See also Curia Regis
[C16: from Latin, from Old Latin coviria (unattested), from co- + vir man]
cu•ri•a(ˈkyʊər i ə)
n., pl. cu•ri•ae (ˈkyʊər iˌi)
1. one of the ten political subdivisions of each of the three tribes of ancient Rome.
2. the building in which such a division met, as for worship or public deliberation.
3. the senate house in ancient Rome.
4. (sometimes cap.) the body of congregations, offices, etc., that assist the pope in the administration of the Roman Catholic Church.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Curia - (Roman Catholic Church) the central administration governing the Roman Catholic Church|
Church of Rome, Roman Catholic Church, Roman Church, Western Church, Roman Catholic - the Christian Church based in the Vatican and presided over by a pope and an episcopal hierarchy
governance, governing body, organisation, administration, brass, establishment, organization - the persons (or committees or departments etc.) who make up a body for the purpose of administering something; "he claims that the present administration is corrupt"; "the governance of an association is responsible to its members"; "he quickly became recognized as a member of the establishment"