Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
curve ballor curve·ball (kûrv′bôl′)
1. Baseball Any of several pitches that veer to the left when thrown with the right hand and to the right when thrown with the left hand.
2. Slang Something that is unexpected or designed to trick or deceive: That last question on the exam was a real curve ball.
pitch/throw (someone) a curve ball Slang
1. To mislead; deceive.
2. To cause to be surprised, especially unpleasantly so.
1. (Baseball) baseball a ball pitched in a curving path so as to make it more difficult to hit
2. something deceptive: his wholesome image was a curve ball thrown to deceive the public.