Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to cushioned: combination
1. A pad or pillow with a soft filling, used for resting, reclining, or kneeling.
2. Something resilient used as a rest, support, or shock absorber.
3. A mat placed or attached beneath carpeting to provide softness and increase durability.
4. A padlike body part.
5. Games The rim bordering the playing surface of a billiard table.
6. A pillow used in lacemaking.
7. Something that mitigates or relieves an adverse effect: extra funds serving as a cushion against future inflation.
tr.v. cush·ioned, cush·ion·ing, cush·ions
1. To provide with a cushion: cushion a bench.
2. To place or seat on a cushion.
3. To cover or hide (something) with or as if with a cushion.
4. To protect from impacts or other disturbing effects: an automobile suspension that cushions the ride.
5. To mitigate the effects of; absorb the shock of: cushion a blow.
[Middle English cushin, from Old French coussin, from Vulgar Latin *coxīnum, from Latin coxa, hip.]
1. (Furniture) provided with cushions
2. (Clothing & Fashion) provided with a means of absorbing shock