Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cutaway: calling card
1. A coat with front edges sloping diagonally from the waist and forming tails at the back.
2. A brief shot that interrupts the main action of a film, often to depict related matter or supposedly concurrent action.
3. A model or diagram of an object with part of the outer layer removed so as to reveal the interior.
4. Sports An inward dive.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a man's coat cut diagonally from the front waist to the back of the knees
2. (General Engineering)
a. a drawing or model of a machine, engine, etc, in which part of the casing is omitted to reveal the workings
b. (as modifier): a cutaway model.
3. (Film) films television a shot separate from the main action of a scene, to emphasize something or to show simultaneous events
1. Also called cut′away coat′. a man's formal daytime coat with the front part of the skirt cut away from the waist so as to curve to the long tails at the back.
2. a shot or scene in a film that shifts abruptly from the principal scene to a related action.
3. an illustration or scale model having the outer section removed to display the interior.adj.
4. having a part cut away.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cutaway - a representation (drawing or model) of something in which the outside is omitted to reveal the inner parts|
representation - a creation that is a visual or tangible rendering of someone or something
|2.||cutaway - a man's coat cut diagonally from the waist to the back of the knees|
coat - an outer garment that has sleeves and covers the body from shoulder down; worn outdoors