Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Something cut out or intended to be cut out from something else.
2. Electricity A device that interrupts, bypasses, or disconnects a circuit or circuit element.
3. A recording that is no longer current and whose remaining stock is sold at a discounted price.
4. Slang A mutually trusted intermediary who handles communications between espionage agents.
1. something cut out from something else, as a pattern cut out or intended to be cut out of paper.
2. a valve in the exhaust pipe of an internal-combustion engine, which when open permits the engine to exhaust directly into the air.
3. an act or instance of cutting out.
4. Slang. an intermediary, as in espionage.
5. a device for the manual or automatic interruption of electric current.
6. a usu. discontinued record album that is for sale at a discount.
An intermediary or device used to obviate direct contact between members of a clandestine organization.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cutout - a switch that interrupts an electric circuit in the event of an overload|
|2.||cutout - a photograph from which the background has been cut away|
standee - a lifesize cardboard cutout (usually of a celebrity); "he had his picture taken with a standee of the president"
|3.||cutout - a part that is cut out or is intended to be cut out|