Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cyclopean: cyclopean concrete, cyclopean eye, Cyclopean walls, Cyclopean architecture
1. often Cyclopean Relating to or suggestive of a Cyclops: a great Cyclopean monocle.
2. Very big; huge: has a cyclopean ego.
3. Of or constituting a primitive style of masonry characterized by the use of massive stones of irregular shape and size.
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) of, relating to, or resembling the Cyclops
2. (Architecture) denoting, relating to, or having the kind of masonry used in preclassical Greek architecture, characterized by large dry undressed blocks of stone
Cy•clo•pe•an(ˌsaɪ kləˈpi ən, saɪˈklɒp i ən)
1. of or resembling the Cyclopes: a Cyclopean eye.
2. (sometimes l.c.) gigantic; vast.
3. (usu. l.c.) formed with or containing large, undressed stones fitted together without mortar.
Built using massive, irregularly-shaped, uncemented blocks of stone, as was common in pre-classical ancient Greek architecture.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||cyclopean - of or relating to or resembling the Cyclops; "Cyclopean eye"|
Of extraordinary size and power:
behemoth, Brobdingnagian, Bunyanesque, colossal, elephantine, enormous, gargantuan, giant, gigantesque, gigantic, herculean, heroic, huge, immense, jumbo, mammoth, massive, massy, mastodonic, mighty, monster, monstrous, monumental, mountainous, prodigious, pythonic, stupendous, titanic, tremendous, vast.