Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. da·does
1. Architecture The section of a pedestal between base and cornice.
2. The lower portion of the wall of a room that is decorated differently from the upper section, as with panels.
a. A rectangular groove cut into a board so that a like piece may be fitted into it.
b. The groove so cut.
tr.v. da·doed, da·do·ing, da·does
1. To furnish with a dado.
a. To cut a dado in.
b. To fit into a dado.
[Italian, gaming die, cubical block, dado, from Old Italian, die, possibly from Latin datum, given, neuter past participle of dare, to give; see die2.]
n, pl -does or -dos
1. (Architecture) the lower part of an interior wall that is decorated differently from the upper part
2. (Architecture) architect the part of a pedestal between the base and the cornice
(Architecture) (tr) to provide with a dado
[C17: from Italian: die, die-shaped pedestal, perhaps from Arabic dad game]
n., pl. -does.
1. Also called die. the part of a pedestal between the base and the cornice or cap..
2. the lower broad part of an interior wall when distinctively finished with wallpaper, paneling, paint, etc.
3. a groove or rectangular section in a board for receiving the end of another board.v.t.
4. to provide with a dado.
5. dado in, to insert (a board or the like) into a dado.
[1655–65; < Italian: die, cube, pedestal, perhaps < Arabic dad game]
Past participle: dadoed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dado - panel forming the lower part of an interior wall when it is finished differently from the rest of the wall|
panel - sheet that forms a distinct (usually flat and rectangular) section or component of something
wall - an architectural partition with a height and length greater than its thickness; used to divide or enclose an area or to support another structure; "the south wall had a small window"; "the walls were covered with pictures"
|2.||dado - the section of a pedestal between the base and the surbase|
|3.||dado - a rectangular groove cut into a board so that another piece can fit into it|
|Verb||1.||dado - provide with a dado; "The owners wanted to dado their dining room"|
|2.||dado - cut a dado into or fit into a dado|
groove - make a groove in, or provide with a groove; "groove a vinyl record"