Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to dandy: Dandy Walker syndrome
n. pl. dan·dies
1. A man who affects extreme elegance in clothes and manners; a fop.
2. Something very good or agreeable.
3. Nautical See yawl.
adj. dan·di·er, dan·di·est
1. Suggestive of or attired like a dandy; foppish.
2. Fine; good.
[Perhaps short for jack-a-dandy, fop.]
n, pl -dies
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a man greatly concerned with smartness of dress; beau
2. (Nautical Terms) a yawl or ketch
adj, -dier or -diest
informal very good or fine
[C18: perhaps short for jack-a-dandy]
(Pathology) another name for dengue
n., pl. -dies, n.
1. a man excessively concerned about his clothes and appearance; fop.
2. something or someone of exceptional quality.adj.
3. characteristic of a dandy; foppish.
4. fine; excellent; first-rate.
[1770–80; orig. uncertain]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dandy - a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance|
macaroni - a British dandy in the 18th century who affected Continental mannerisms; "Yankee Doodle stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni"
|2.||dandy - a sailing vessel with two masts; a small mizzen is aft of the rudderpost|
|Adj.||1.||dandy - very good; "he did a bully job"; "a neat sports car"; "had a great time at the party"; "you look simply smashing"|
bang-up, bully, corking, cracking, nifty, not bad, peachy, slap-up, smashing, swell, groovy, keen, great, neat
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
good - having desirable or positive qualities especially those suitable for a thing specified; "good news from the hospital"; "a good report card"; "when she was good she was very very good"; "a good knife is one good for cutting"; "this stump will make a good picnic table"; "a good check"; "a good joke"; "a good exterior paint"; "a good secretary"; "a good dress for the office"
1. Informal. Exceptionally good of its kind:
ace, banner, blue-ribbon, brag, capital, champion, excellent, fine, first-class, first-rate, prime, quality, splendid, superb, superior, terrific, tiptop, top.
Chiefly British: tophole.
1. n → dandy m inv, elegantone m
2. adj (-ier (comp) (-iest (superl))) (Am) (fam) → fantastico/a