dap(redirected from dapping)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to dapping: Dapping block
intr.v. dapped, dap·ping, daps
1. To fish by letting a baited hook fall gently onto the water.
2. To dip lightly or quickly into water, as a bird does.
3. To skip or bounce, especially over the surface of water.
[Probably alteration of dab.]
1. An elaborate gesture of greeting developed by African American soldiers during the Vietnam War, usually consisting of a handshake and other maneuvers such as hand slaps and a fist bump.
2. A fist bump.
tr.v. dapped, dap·ping, daps
To greet by means of a dap.
[African American Vernacular English, of unknown origin.]
vb (intr) , daps, dapping or dapped
1. (Angling) angling to fish with a natural or artificial fly on a floss silk line so that the wind makes the fly bob on and off the surface of the water
2. (as of a bird) to dip lightly into water
3. to bounce or cause to bounce
[C17: of imitative origin]
(Clothing & Fashion) dialect Southwest English another word for plimsoll
[C20: probably special use of dap1 (in the sense: to bounce, skip)]
(Computer Science) distributed array processor
Past participle: dapped