Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to dead letter: Dead letter mail
1. An unclaimed or undelivered letter that after a period of time is destroyed or returned to the sender by the postal service.
2. A law, rule, or precedent still formally in effect but no longer valid or enforced.
1. (Communications & Information) a letter that cannot be delivered or returned because it lacks adequate directions
2. (Law) a law or ordinance that is no longer enforced but has not been formally repealed
3. informal anything considered no longer worthy of consideration
1. a letter that is not deliverable or returnable by the post office.
2. a law no longer enforced but not formally repealed.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dead letter - the state of something that has outlived its relevance|
state - the way something is with respect to its main attributes; "the current state of knowledge"; "his state of health"; "in a weak financial state"
|2.||dead letter - mail that can neither be delivered nor returned|