Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to deathwatch: deathwatch beetle
1. A vigil kept beside a dying or dead person.
2. One who guards a condemned person before execution.
3. A deathwatch beetle.
1. a vigil held beside a dying or dead person
2. (Animals) deathwatch beetle a beetle, Xestobium rufovillosum, whose woodboring larvae are a serious pest. The adult produces a rapid tapping sound with its head that was once popularly supposed to presage death. See also anobiid
1. a vigil beside a dying or dead person.
2. a guard set over a person before execution.
3. Also called death′watch bee`tle. any of several beetles of the family Anobiidae that make a ticking sound as they bore through wood: the sound was once believed to be an omen of death.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||deathwatch - minute wingless psocopterous insects injurious to books and papers|
psocopterous insect - small soft-bodied insect with chewing mouthparts and either no wings or two pairs
|2.||deathwatch - bores through wood making a ticking sound popularly thought to presage death|
beetle - insect having biting mouthparts and front wings modified to form horny covers overlying the membranous rear wings