Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various crustaceans of the order Decapoda, characteristically having five pairs of walking legs attached to the thorax and three pairs of maxillipeds used for feeding, and including the crabs, lobsters, and shrimps.
2. Any of various cephalopod mollusks having eight arms and two tentacles, and including the squids and cuttlefishes.
[From New Latin Decapoda, crustacean order name : deca- + -poda, -pod. Sense 2, from New Latin Decapoda, former cephalopod order name : deca- + -poda, -pod.]
de·cap′o·dan (dĭ-kăp′ə-dən), de·cap′o·dous (-dəs) adj.
1. (Animals) any crustacean of the mostly marine order Decapoda, having five pairs of walking limbs: includes the crabs, lobsters, shrimps, prawns, and crayfish
2. (Animals) any cephalopod mollusc of the order Decapoda, having a ring of eight short tentacles and two longer ones: includes the squids and cuttlefish
3. (Zoology) of, relating to, or belonging to either of these orders
4. (Zoology) (of any other animal) having ten limbs
decapodal, deˈcapodan, deˈcapodous adj
1. any crustacean of the order Decapoda, having five pairs of limbs, including the crabs, lobsters, crayfish, prawns, and shrimps.
2. any cephalopod having ten arms, as a cuttlefish or squid.adj.
3. belonging or pertaining to the decapods.
4. having ten feet or legs.
de•cap•o•dan (dəˈkæp ə dn) adj., n.
1. A crustacean characteristically having ten legs, each joined to a segment of the thorax. Crabs, hermit crabs, lobsters, and shrimp are decapods.
2. A cephalopod mollusk, such as a squid or cuttlefish, having ten arm-like tentacles.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||decapod - crustaceans characteristically having five pairs of locomotor appendages each joined to a segment of the thorax|
crustacean - any mainly aquatic arthropod usually having a segmented body and chitinous exoskeleton
crab - decapod having eyes on short stalks and a broad flattened carapace with a small abdomen folded under the thorax and pincers
lobster - any of several edible marine crustaceans of the families Homaridae and Nephropsidae and Palinuridae
crawdaddy, crawfish, crawdad, crayfish - small freshwater decapod crustacean that resembles a lobster
hermit crab - small soft-bodied marine crustaceans living in cast-off shells of gastropods
shrimp - small slender-bodied chiefly marine decapod crustaceans with a long tail and single pair of pincers; many species are edible
prawn - shrimp-like decapod crustacean having two pairs of pincers; most are edible
tropical prawn - edible tropical and warm-water prawn
|2.||decapod - cephalopods having eight short tentacles plus two long ones|
cephalopod, cephalopod mollusk - marine mollusk characterized by well-developed head and eyes and sucker-bearing tentacles
squid - widely distributed fast-moving ten-armed cephalopod mollusk having a long tapered body with triangular tail fins
cuttle, cuttlefish - ten-armed oval-bodied cephalopod with narrow fins as long as the body and a large calcareous internal shell