demoiselle(redirected from demoiselles)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
[French, damsel, from Old French dameisele; see damsel.]
1. (Animals) Also called: demoiselle crane or Numidian crane a small crane, Anthropoides virgo, of central Asia, N Africa, and SE Europe, having grey plumage with long black breast feathers and white ear tufts
2. (Animals) a less common name for a damselfly
3. (Animals) another name for damselfish
4. a literary word for damsel
[C16: from French: young woman; see damsel]
dem•oi•selle(ˌdɛm wəˈzɛl, ˌdɛm ə-)
1. an unmarried girl or young woman.
2. a small gray crane, Anthropoides virgo, of N Africa and Eurasia, with white neck plumes.
3. a damselfly, esp. of the genus Agrion.
[1760–70; < French; see damsel]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||demoiselle - a young unmarried woman|
|2.||demoiselle - small brilliantly colored tropical marine fishes of coral reefs|
beaugregory, Pomacentrus leucostictus - a blue and yellow damselfish of Bermuda and Florida and the West Indies
anemone fish - live associated with sea anemones