denizen(redirected from denizening)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. An inhabitant; a resident: denizens of Buenos Aires; turtles and other swamp denizens.
2. One that frequents a particular place: a bar and its denizens; denizens of the deep sea.
3. Chiefly British A foreigner who is granted rights of residence and sometimes of citizenship.
tr.v. den·i·zened, den·i·zen·ing, den·i·zens Chiefly British
To make a denizen of; grant rights of residence to.
[Middle English denisein, from Anglo-Norman denzein, from deinz, within, from Late Latin deintus, from within; see dedans.]
1. an inhabitant; occupant; resident
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Brit an individual permanently resident in a foreign country where he or she enjoys certain rights of citizenship
3. (Biology) a plant or animal established in a place to which it is not native
4. (Linguistics) a naturalized foreign word
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (tr) to make a denizen
[C15: from Anglo-French denisein, from Old French denzein, from denz within, from Latin de intus from within]
den•i•zen(ˈdɛn ə zən)
1. an inhabitant; resident.
2. a person who regularly frequents a place; habitué.
3. Brit. an alien admitted to residence and to certain rights of citizenship.v.t.
4. to make a denizen of.
Past participle: denizenned
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||denizen - a person who inhabits a particular place|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
Austronesian - a native or inhabitant of Austronesia
American - a native or inhabitant of a North American or Central American or South American country
American - a native or inhabitant of the United States
Alsatian - a native or inhabitant of Alsace
borderer - an inhabitant of a border area (especially the border between Scotland and England)
easterner - an inhabitant of an eastern area; especially of the U.S.
Hittite - a member of an ancient people who inhabited Anatolia and northern Syria about 2000 to 1200 BC
Latin - an inhabitant of ancient Latium
liver - someone who lives in a place; "a liver in cities"
marcher - an inhabitant of a border district
Nazarene - an inhabitant of Nazareth
Northerner - an inhabitant of the North
Numidian - an inhabitant of ancient Numidia
Occidental - a native inhabitant of the Occident
Philistine - a member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the 12th century BC
Phrygian - a native or inhabitant of Phrygia
plainsman - an inhabitant of a plains region (especially the Great Plains of North America)
occupant, occupier, resident - someone who lives at a particular place for a prolonged period or who was born there
Trinidadian - inhabitant or native of Trinidad
villager - one who has lived in a village most of their life
westerner - an inhabitant of a western area; especially of the U.S.
|2.||denizen - a plant or animal naturalized in a region; "denizens of field and forest"; "denizens of the deep"|