Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to denominator: least common denominator, lowest common denominator, common denominator
1. Mathematics The expression written below the line in a common fraction that indicates the number of parts into which one whole is divided.
2. A common trait or characteristic.
3. A determining factor or standard: "The tie is probably the single most important denominator of social status for a man in the United States today" (John Molloy).
1. (Mathematics) the divisor of a fraction, as 8 in . Compare numerator1
2. archaic a person or thing that denominates or designates
de•nom•i•na•tor(dɪˈnɒm əˌneɪ tər)
1. the term of a fraction, usu. written under or after the line, that indicates the number of equal parts into which the unit is divided; divisor. Compare numerator (def. 1).
2. something held in common; standard.
[1535–45; < Medieval Latin]
The number below or to the right of the line in a fraction, indicating the number of equal parts into which one whole is divided. For example, in the fraction 2/7 , 7 is the denominator.
denominator[dɪˈnɒmɪneɪtər] n (MATHEMATICS) → dénominateur m
n (Math) → Nenner m